[Phpmyadmin-devel] Import progress bar

Philip Frank ich at philipfrank.de
Sun Apr 11 19:42:37 CEST 2010

2010/4/11 Michael Keck <sfnet at michaelkeck.de>:
> Am 11.04.2010 14:53, schrieb Philip Frank:
>>
>> I don't quite get it... Is the "upload progress bar" the same as the
>> "import progress bar"?
>> I'm willing to spend some time on porting mootools code to jQuery
>> today, but wouldn't want get in the way of what Michael is working on.
>> So, what exactly do these progress bars show?
>>
> Philip,
>
> my explained progressbar was an idea for uploading.
> I've not done anything for the import progressbar.
>
> If you want porting mootools code to jQuery please still go on.
>
> One tip I've for you with jQuery UI Progressbar:
> Update the progressbar with
>    $('#your_element').progessbar("value", your_value + "%");
> would make problems, cause this call would take to much time.
> Please use this:
>    $('#your_element .ui-progress-bar-vakue').css({ 'width' : your_value
> + '%' });
> This sets the new width of the progressbar directly and is faster.
>
> Michael

I dug through the related code, display_import.lib.php,
import_status.php and import.php.
I'm not sure if I overlooked it, but there is no tracking of progress
while running an import. I couldn't get the ajax import to work on the
current master, it just silently falls back to an ordinary post.

>From looking at the code and porting some to jQuery I figured the
following: A progress bar is displayed if the php extension apc or
uploadprogress is installed, but it shows the progress of the file
upload, not that of the import, which just happens without
intermediate output.
So, Michael, what you are doing with Flash is already there, only
working when certain server extensions are available.