[Phpmyadmin-devel] git help -- finding in which tag/release a revision occurs

Isaac Bennetch bennetch at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 15:26:34 CEST 2010

On 8/2/2010 7:39 AM, Marc Delisle wrote:
> Isaac Bennetch a écrit :
>> Hi, hopefully one of you can help me figure out a git question I have. I
>> know the specific revision where a change occurred -- for example
>> rRELEASE_3_3_4-5777-gd7192b3 (DefaultCharset depreciated), but what I
>> want to know is what release version that change will affect. Any hints
>> how I can figure out in which release this will occur?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> ~isaac
>
> Hi Isaac,
> not sure I understand the question which seems to talk about a future
> release. If a commit is done on the master branch only, it will appear
> in the next feature release (3.4). If it's done on branch QA_3_3, it
> will appear in the next bugfix release (3.3.6).

I think you understood exactly what I mean, but I was hoping there's a
way to look back in time. If something was done in master two months or
six months ago, there's no easy way to see which release came next? So
far I've just been comparing dates but hoped git would make it easier.

To explain a bit, this is for the wiki; when I have time (which might be
a week or three later), I read through the commit log and edit the wiki
page to match changes like depreciating DefaultCharset or adding the new
string formatting. The only problem is figuring out what version to say
with "this was depreciated in ____".

It's no big problem, I was just hoping to make things a bit easier.

Thanks!