[Phpmyadmin-devel] seperate branch for solving elaborate bug?

Dieter Adriaenssens dieter.adriaenssens at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 18:56:54 CET 2010

Hi all,

Looking into the XML export functionality, some known issues (solved
for SQL export) apply to XML export too :

bug #3136658 : export functions/routines before tables [0]
bug #3136655 : export view of view [1]
bug #3076692 : events are not exported [2]

At this moment these bugs cannot be reproduced because 'export schema
structure' is not available as an option when exporting as xml, but
before enabling and releasing (patch #3135414 [3] ) this, I think all
the mentioned bugs should be solved, because it's not a good idea to
introduce known bugs with a stable release.

Now, as there is no real development branch at this moment, I was
thinking it might be a good idea to create a separate branch for these
related bugs, that can be merged into the QA_3_3/QA_3_4/master (or
whichever branch is current then) once all the work is done.

I know I can create a local development branch on my system, but then
nobody else that would work on the same set of bugs, can keep current
with development that was done.

What do you think?

BTW: I'm a bit inspired by a recent post of Linus about branching [4].
I realize this does not completely apply to what I'm suggesting here,
but it got me thinking anyway. As I see it now, there is no real way
of 'picking' features that go into a release, because everything is
added to a development branch. Forgive me if I'm potentially
overcomplicating things. ;)

[0] https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3136658&group_id=23067&atid=377408
[1] https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3136655&group_id=23067&atid=377408
[2] https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3076692&group_id=23067&atid=377408