[Phpmyadmin-devel] XML export/import : view of view

Dieter Adriaenssens dieter.adriaenssens at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 16:52:13 CET 2010

2010/12/27 AAMIR KHAN <ak4u2009 at gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 7:14 PM, Michal Čihař <michal at cihar.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Dne Sat, 25 Dec 2010 12:35:45 +0100
>> Dieter Adriaenssens <dieter.adriaenssens at gmail.com> napsal(a):
>>
>>> I'd like your opinion about exporting view of view in xml format.
>>>
>>> Aamir Khan prepared a patch [0] that creates an XML export in the way
>>> this is handled in SQL export, ie first all tables and views are
>>> exported. All views are exported as standin tables with the same
>>> structure. Then all views are recreated, first dropping the standin
>>> tables, and creating the real views. The reason for this is to make
>>> sure that when creating a view that uses another view, it at least
>>> exists, thus avoiding an error upon importing it again.
>>> Downside of this is that the xml export of the structure schema gets a
>>> bit confusing with a <pma:table>, <pma:drop> and <pma:view> tag for
>>> every view, as the xml export is intended to be used by custom
>>> scripting.
>>
>> I don't think that XML should be replacement of the SQL, especially I
>> don't see need for <pma:drop>. So it should just describe the data and
>> import should handle such problems.
>>
> I have created one test XML file as well as patch to implement
> <pma:drop-stand-in> previously <pma:drop> as children of the
> <pma:view> and renamed the tag names to make less confusion.

Hi Aamir,

I took a look at your patch (xml-view-nested.diff [0]). I don't
understand why you keep the stand-in and stand-in-drop in the export,
if you go to the trouble of changing the import process to take care
of the nested stand-in-drop. Wouldn't it be easier to just have an
export of <pma:view> (without stand-in or drop) and make the necessary
changes in import to take care of the view of view problem? (I
described how this should work in an earlier post)

[0] http://sourceforge.net/tracker/download.php?group_id=23067&atid=377410&file_id=397010&aid=3141565

Happy New Year!

Seasonal greetings,

Dieter