[Phpmyadmin-devel] question (problems logging into phpMyAdmin)

Sebastian Mendel lists at sebastianmendel.de
Mon Feb 8 12:58:42 CET 2010

Am 07.02.2010 06:50, schrieb Paul Westmoreland:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to using phpMyAdmin and am having trouble logging in. I'm
> wondering if someone can help me.
>
> I have successfully installed phpMyAdmin on my server (linux, has all
> the requisite stuff needed to run everything) but i get this error:
>
> #1045 - Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
>
> (also this one: Cannot load mcrypt extension. Please check your PHP
> configuration.)
>
> i tried the documented suggestion:
>
> $cfg['Servers'][$i]['user']          = 'root';
> $cfg['Servers'][$i]['password']      = 'cbb74bc'; // use here your password

this needs to be the user information for your MySQL server

phpMyAdmin uses the above username and password to connect to the MySQL
server - so you need to ensure MySQL has a user root with the above
password who is allowed to login from localhost

> $cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type']     = 'config'

using 'cookie' as auth type is more secure, it gives you a login form
where you need to enter your MySQL credentials (username and password)

phpMyAdmin has no own authentication or privilege system - everything is
done against the MySQL server.

--
Sebastian Mendel