[Phpmyadmin-devel] about export and CSV

Marc Delisle marc at infomarc.info
Mon Jul 12 13:49:58 CEST 2010

Michal Čihař a écrit :
> Hi
>
> Dne Fri, 09 Jul 2010 08:06:06 -0400
> Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> napsal(a):
>
>> Lori,
>>
>> your wrote on your blog
>> ----
>> It is confusing why the default column termination symbol for CSV is a
>> semi-colon when a comma is expected ("comma-separated values").
>> ----
>>
>> I agree it's confusing but the semi-colon is there by default for a
>> reason: this is the character that Excel expects and we can't deny that
>> most users will use Excel to read back this file.
>
> I though this is reason for having CSV and CSV for Excel. So having CSV
> by default separated by comma would make sense.

I was using just "CSV" with the default of semi-colon to read back into
Excel because I had a doubt with "CSV for MS Excel".

I just tried with "CSV for MS Excel": it generates a file with commas
without giving a choice of changing this, and most importantly *it does
not work* with MS Excel 2007 on Windows! Not sure about the one on Mac,
however

I'm going to have a look and fix this for 3.3.5, at least for Windows.
After this fix, yes it would make sense that CSV produce commas :)