[Phpmyadmin-devel] Piotr's tree and sensible options

Piotr Przybylski piotr.prz at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 17:49:51 CEST 2010

2010/7/21 Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info>:
> Piotr Przybylski a écrit :
>> Yes, config file has a key 'UserprefsDisallow', which contains names
>> of values that users cannot override. Also, setup script has
>> checkboxes (next to each option) which allow to modify this. Settings
>> in 'UserprefsDisallow' are marked as DISABLED in user preferences (and
>> are listed in Blacklist section of my debug message).
> Great!
>>
>> In addition to disabling options, some are only partially editable by
>> users. Namely:
>> * MaxDbList, MaxTableList, QueryHistoryMax - users can set values
>> which are equal to or lower than the one hardcoded in config.*.php
>> * AllowUserDropDatabase, UseDbSearch, QueryHistoryDB, ShowPhpInfo,
>> ShowChgPassword - these can be only disabled (changed from true to
>> false), enabling them is impossible for users
>>
>> Both cases above are marked by an icon with comment in setup script.
>>
> I don't find intuitive that for some options, a checkmark means true and
> that for others, it means false (I know that you displayed "disable" but
>  it requires more reflexion from the users).
>
> The only alternative I can think of, would require a js-enabled browser
> to block enabling the option.

I made it that way because I want to keep stored data at a minimum
(only differences to defaults) and code straightforward (it's already
complex enough), and adding a few options defaulting to false gives me
a nice and simple switch to use. When detecting checkbox value I can
only tell whether it is on, or off/not available.

I will think about using <select>s there, maybe then the solution will
still be simple enough and more obvious. Or maybe I should move all
these settings to a new tab, where this behavior would be described?
"disable" text would stay, to alert user that something about this
form is different.

Added to my todo list, first I will check whether <select>s would be
suitable for the task.

--
Piotr Przybylski