[Phpmyadmin-devel] Inline editing and relational data

Ninad Pundalik ninadsp16289 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 16:27:00 CEST 2010

Hi Marc,

Replies inline.

On 30/07/2010, Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> wrote:
> Ninad,
> just to be sure you are aware of all the issues, here is a little overview.
>
> When you do "normal" edit of data, relational data (not just foreign
> keys) is fetched. It can come from foreign keys (InnoDB, PBXT), or from
> phpMyAdmin's configuration storage, see libraries/relation.lib.php in
> PMA_getForeigners() and the "source" parameter.
>
> Also, $cfg['ForeignKeyMaxLimit'] plays an important role. This is
> because we don't way to display a too big drop-down for the possible
> values. If these are more than this limit, a link to
> browse_foreigners.php is displayed, showing a distinct window with
> search capabilities.
The normal editing happens in tbl_change.php, and I almost completely
copied the code from that file for retrieving the relational data.
So, I'm calling PMA_getForeigners(), PMA_getForeignData() as well as
PMA_foreignDropdown() to generate the <select> options.  Hence, these
parameters have definitely been taken care of.

> There is also a "display field" that represents each row (for example,
> the key would be "id" and the display field would be "city name").
>
> How do you plan to present relational data in the inline interface?
I don't think I've considered this.  Is this what
PMA_getDisplayField() is used for?  I'll look through the code to find
it's usage examples and include it in inline editing.

--
Ninad S. Pundalik