[Phpmyadmin-devel] Transition to template-based framework

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Fri Mar 12 14:19:23 CET 2010

Hi

Dne Fri, 12 Mar 2010 13:43:44 +0100
Michael Keck <sfnet at michaelkeck.de> napsal(a):

> On things, wich are not changed every time, caching increase performance.
> Please take a look at: http://www.ohrensessel-filme.de. This page loads
> 10 times faster with cache.
> Templates are only written, if any thing has been changed, means
> html-files are written and then included.
> Otherwise, the cache file is used, it means php includes a html-file.

Well the interface parts do not change, while the data will change
quite a lot in our case. As the templates are compiled to PHP code, I
don't think they add that much overhead. Of course it will improve a
lot for websites like you linked, which has most of the content really
static, but I don't think this is the case for phpMyAdmin. And we need
to show up to date data (nobody is interested to seeing listing of
tables he had ten seconds ago, but for the current listing).

> I mean, we have in svn/git a '/themes' folder? Perhabs I would add new
> one: '/skins' with the subdirs '/skins/sources/' and '/skins/compiled/'.

Yes, we would add new repository for templates. But this can wait until
the code is ready.