[Phpmyadmin-devel] [GSoC] OO PMA project proposals

Marc Delisle marc at infomarc.info
Fri Mar 19 17:40:47 CET 2010

Edouard SWIAC a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> It's a great thing that phpMyAdmin is part of the GSoC this year! I
> presented myself some weeks ago, then discussed with Marc about some
> ideas on this project. Now I'm submitting these to all the
> developers.

Hello Edouard (and other would-be students),

on this list we can discuss ideas but your formal proposal to be a GSoC
student mentored by the phpMyAdmin project should not be sent to this
list; you will send it on the http://socghop.appspot.com interface.

Your formal proposal will need to contain a clear plan of the tasks you
expect to do in the eleven weeks (plus one week to scrub code). These
tasks need to produce code that is tested (by you) and testable (by the
community).

Especially, the *scope* of your proposal will have to be clear. For
example, if your proposal is to change *all* phpMyAdmin codebase to OO
and at the mid-term you have not succeeded into changing half of the
code, you will fail your mid-term evaluation and Google will eject you
from the program.

"Separating the presentation tier from the logic tier" is too vague;
again, the proposal will need to contain the intended scope.

I have seen proposals where the student tells us that he wants to take,
say, three weeks to familiarize himself with the code base. No can do.

We also have to look if the code produced by all students will be
mergeable and will fit together.

P.S. http://wiki.phpmyadmin.net/pma/GSoC_2010_Student_Checklist

If this checklist needs improvements, tell us!

Regards,