[Phpmyadmin-devel] GSoC 2010 proposal - User Preferences

Marc Delisle marc at infomarc.info
Tue Mar 23 01:22:15 CET 2010

Piotr Przybylski a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I would like to take part in this year's Google Summer of Code to
> implement the User Preferences proposal. I took part in GSoC two years
> ago, implementing phpMyAdmin's new setup script, which I hope works as
> intended :)  Currently I am on the first year of postgraduate course
> for master's degree on Poznań University of Technology, specialization
> - Data Processing Technologies.
>
> In accordance with project proposal, all settings would be stored in
> pmadb, with an option for easy export and import. User will be able to
> change all relevant PMA features which do not affect performance or
> security settings. After taking a quick glance at config.default.php I
> believe these settings should be considered for customization:
>   * DROP confirmations
>   * show executed sql (ShowSql)
>   * LeftFrame*, table comments in tooltips
>   * displayed rows
>   * INSERT form customization
>   * default files (DefaultTab*)
>   * maybe export/import default options?
>   * MySQL manual type
>   * window title
>   * SQL Query box settings
>   * hiding some tabs under one drop-down menu (eg. I have never used
> Designer or Query by example for database / Import for single table)

Hi Piotr,
thanks for your interest.

There are surely other settings that can benefit from this. Some are in
config.default.php, some are maybe only on the interface, I'm not sure.

The last time we discussed about this feature, we were wondering if
there should be a page regrouping user preferences, or if they should be
settable individually on the related page (for example while browsing,
choosing the number of rows you usually want there), or both?

There was also the question of the place where they should be stored
during your work session in phpMyAdmin (avoid loading them on each click!)

We need to keep these features also in the "normal" config mechanisms (
/setup, config.default.php, config.inc.php) because the pmadb is
optional and has to remain optional.