[Phpmyadmin-devel] js loading

Dieter Adriaenssens dieter.adriaenssens at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 16:30:48 CET 2010

>>> In Rasmus Lerdorf's presentations, he showed benchmarks that proove that
>>> (in general), what slows down the application is the *number* of include
>>> files (whose opening require a system call), as PHP parsing is quite
>>> optimized.
>>>

>> I think he said that a big amount of once_required/include, causes the
>> delays (because of the extra system call).
>> Using include/require is no problem, but then you need to manage your
>> includes yourself (only once, for the entire codebase).
>
> In fact, in this slide http://talks.php.net/show/ygatech4/7 he says "A
> final optimization is to get rid of an include file"; we would have to
> measure the exact impact of removing just one include in phpMyAdmin but
> there must be some.

Interesting stuff, I only read the blogpost you posted earlier.
Of course, you can't get rid of all included files, a project would be
very difficult to browse when everything is in one file. ;)
I wonder if the size of the included files matters? Does a huge
included file load faster than two smaller ones?

Greetings,

Dieter