[Phpmyadmin-devel] GSoC 2010 proposal - User Preferences

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Fri Mar 26 00:06:01 CET 2010

Hi

Dne Tue, 23 Mar 2010 18:17:08 +0100
Piotr Przybylski <piotr.prz at gmail.com> napsal(a):

> W dniu 23 marca 2010 01:22 użytkownik Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> napisał:
> > The last time we discussed about this feature, we were wondering if
> > there should be a page regrouping user preferences, or if they should be
> > settable individually on the related page (for example while browsing,
> > choosing the number of rows you usually want there), or both?
>
> I believe that everything should be on special preferences page so we
> do not clutter the interface and keep interface behavior consistent.

I'd also prefer separate preferences page. I think we even now
sometimes provide too much options in the interface.

> > There was also the question of the place where they should be stored
> > during your work session in phpMyAdmin (avoid loading them on each click!)
>
> $_SESSION is the best place. Settings would be loaded once and kept in
> an easily available place. Cookies are out of the question as it would
> require too much data to be sent on each request.

Well I don't think it should be big problem loading settings on demand
from the database - Config::get('SomeSettings') would lookup in user
settings in DB and fallback to value from config file.

> My idea is to put all user-changeable options to config.default.php,
> then it can be implemented as simply overwriting current config with
> user values. Allowed keys would be stored in $cfg array, making the
> list easy to modify if needed. That would also allow setup script to
> show which config values can be changed by end users.

Now I can see feature request to making this list also configurable ;-).