[Phpmyadmin-devel] Fwd: Log-in screen and problem with file ./libraries/common.inc.php

Rohit Kalhans rohit.kalhans at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 00:52:34 CEST 2010

hi,

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 6:28 PM, Michal Čihař <michal at cihar.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Dne Mon, 29 Mar 2010 17:55:13 +0530
> Rohit Kalhans <rohit.kalhans at gmail.com> napsal(a):
>
> > The Idea behind enabling and disabling AJAX is that I am trying to
> develop
> > it as a plug-in to the existing code, and the user can choose not to use
> > this feature. Since PMA is also being used by many hosting sites apart
> from
> > personal users, this may be up to the discretion of the service provider
> > use this plug-in. he may uninstall this plug-in by changing the
> > cfg['advancedAjaxInterface'] to FALSE and the plug-in even it is
> installed
> > will be inactive and if the user(service provider) feels like people
> should
> > use this plug-in he just have  to change the value of the above mentioned
> > variable.
>
> Let's forget about making plugin, you will really have to touch lot of
> code (or duplicate it), so it really can not be separated.

Thats what i was trying to do all these days, figuring out the ways to
implement what i suggested with minimal changes to the native code and i was
successful. I was, however unable to create the patch (using git) but i'll
attach the modified code files as an attachment in 2 to 3 days,( if I am
still unable to use git, i am still trying to figure out the problem) and
you can have a look at it and then make the decision :).

> > I have past experiences with Ajax and a few of them are not pretty gud.
> At
> > times when using ajax, on a slow connection (or for a busy server), this
> > becomes a problem more than a feature. this does not make AJAX intrusive
> but
> > on the contrary provides a flexibility to either use or do not use this
> > functionality (for the person who has installed PMA ) .
>
> And that only answered part of the question, why do you need two
> configuration options?
>
> Yes,  it probably makes sense to have single option to disable AJAX.

The first option [from config file] will disable AJAX permanently and the
second one will disable it for just a given session.
I will suggest that you take a look at the modified code because that will
make the functionality clearer. I think i am not able to explain properly.

> > This is for the user to make a choice whether or not he wants  to use
> this
> > feature or not. Say, he has to log in remotely, of from a different
> browser
> > which does not support JAVASCRIPT. Even though this can be detected but
> what
> > about old browsers (IE-6 etc which support javascript but are pretty slow
> > with JavaScript and may bore the user to death :) ) and slow
> > net-connections(say the user is using in prime-time). The user may need
> > just load a basic html view and this drop-down box   provides him an
> option
> > to do that. However the default view takes care of the the graceful
> > degradation even if JavaScript is not enabled, (or present). Also if the
> > user chooses to use the Advanced UI and if javascript is not present or
> > enabled PMA will switch back to the normal view as it isnow with an alert
> > the user.
> >
> > The same technique is being used by ZIMBRA <http://www.zimbra.com/> and
> > GMAIL.
>
> Well I don't think this should be handled so specially. For now, use
> just setting in config file and user will be able to change it once per
> user preferences will be implemented (hopefully someone will finish it
> this GSoC).
>
> > Can a git repository be accessed through a http proxy like squid?
>
> See
>
> http://wiki.phpmyadmin.net/pma/Devel:Git#Accessing_Git_repository_from_behind_firewall
>
> --
>         Michal Čihař | http://cihar.com | http://blog.cihar.com