[Phpmyadmin-devel] Main page reorganization

Dieter Adriaenssens dieter.adriaenssens at gmail.com
Sat May 15 12:10:43 CEST 2010

2010/5/15 Lori Lee <leelorik at gmail.com>:
> Hi Marc,
>
> Regarding the log out button, I removed it because there is already one in
> the sidebar and I didn't see what advantage there was to also having it on
> this page.
>
> I have two updated screenshots:
>
> http://lorilee1.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/main_page_no_icons.png This one
> is basically the same as the previous one but also includes the list of
> servers, if there are more than one.
>
> http://lorilee1.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/main_page_icons.png This one is
> the same as above but still has the old icons on the left hand side. I also
> added two icons for Background color and Font size (I just found them on
> Google Images but they will probably have to be remade if we decide to use
> them). I think it looks odd, though, that Name does not have an icon and I
> can't think of an appropriate one.

I like the one with the icons. It looks more appealing than just
buttons. As for the Name-icon, you could use one that represents a
database. It usually is represented by the picture of a cylinder (or
is this only with MSSQL?).

> I placed Change password in the settings because that is where it is
> typically found in applications.
>
> Whichever tab is most often used would make the most sense to have as the
> default page. I am guessing this is the Databases tab but I may be wrong.

I'm quite used to the current default page, but I guess that for most
users the databases page would be the most wanted starting page. Most
developers do, I think.
However, the databases tab makes only sense when you have access to
more than one database.
Showing the database page (with an overview of tables, and tabs :
structure, sql, search, query, ..., operations, drop) is more logical
in that case.
For sysadmins and DBA's, the status tab or priviliges tab would be
better as a default, but that depends on preference.

Greets,

Dieter

> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 5:28 PM, Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> wrote:
>>
>> Lori Lee a écrit :
>> > Hello everyone,
>> >
>> > I have created a prototype of a proposed redesign of the main page:
>> > http://lorilee1.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/index_page_new.png. I feel
>> > that this is a more logical organization of the information and makes it
>> > easier to scan. I made the bullets all identical (in the screenshot they
>> > look like they are different sizes but they are not supposed to be)
>> > because in the current version, some bullets are an icon that is
>> > meaningful to that bullet item (ex. Change password), while others
>> > simply have a triangle (ex. Custom color) -- which, by the way, looks
>> > misleadingly clickable. This makes it seem like these two categories of
>> > bullets mean different things, when they actually do not.
>> >
>> > Another feature that may be useful is allowing each group of items to be
>> > collapsed and expanded and keeping that state for future sessions.
>> >
>> > Please let me know what you think of these suggestions.
>>
>> Lori,
>> It's a good cleanup.
>>
>> It's true that triangles were misleading, but no more little icons next
>> to some of the choices?
>>
>> Also, in the actual "Actions" section, there are also
>> - server dialog, in case multiple servers are defined
>> - Log out link
>> Where would you put these?
>>
>> I'm not sure about putting "Change password" in Settings.
>>
>> Also, someone on a discussion list was saying that this whole Home panel
>> should not appear by default as it's not commonly used. However I wonder
>> what should be there instead (this is configured in
>> $cfg['DefaultTabServer']).
>>
>> --
>> Marc Delisle
>> http://infomarc.info