[Phpmyadmin-devel] Drizzle compatibility and demo server

Marc Delisle marc at infomarc.info
Thu Oct 21 15:36:52 CEST 2010

Michal Čihař a écrit :
> Hi
>
> Dne Thu, 21 Oct 2010 08:09:13 -0400
> Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> napsal(a):
>
>> Michal Čihař a écrit :
>>> Hi

>>> Th "MySQL only" has already one problem called MariaDB :-).
>> The difference being that in our doc we state support for MySQL and we
>> don't mention MariaDB.
>
> Yes, but I don't think we want to state that we do not support MariaDB.
> Simply because it works and is compatible with MySQL.

Eventually we will have to clarify our support of MariaDB, mentionning
which version and what kind of support.

>>> We definitely should clearly state what we want to support and what
>>> not. MySQL, MariaDB and Drizzle still share fair amount of code and
>>> they all use same binary protocol and quite similar SQL language, so
>>> they are not that different.
>>>
>>> MariaDB adds some features compared to MySQL (some of that will be part
>>> of future MySQL releases, but some not), do we want to support these?
>> Do we have volunteers to support these?
>
> Well we do support some of that already (eg. PBXT). And some of the
> MariaDB 5.2 features will come with MySQL later as well (eg. virtual
> columns and pluggable authentication to mention some prominent
> features).

I don't view PBXT as a MariaDB feature, it's just that they package this
engine with their product.

>>> The most important changes for Drizzle would be actually do disable
>>> some functions, which are not present there (like the charset/collation
>>> thing I've pushed to git, though maybe too fast).
>> I was under the impression that Drizzle avoided the SHOW commands (which
>> we use a lot).
>
> Maybe some of them, but SHOW TABLES, SHOW DATABASES and SHOW FIELDS do
> exist (however not SHOW FULL FIELDS). I didn't investigate more, I was
> just inspired by LWN.net article about MySQL, MariaDB and Drizzle and
> wanted to see what would be actually working.

What about http://pecl.php.net/package/drizzle ? I guess that proper
support should include using this wrapper to libdrizzle.