[Phpmyadmin-devel] GSoC Ideas

Piotr Przybylski piotr.prz at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 23:17:13 CEST 2011

2011/3/31 Michael Bundy <michaeltbundy at gmail.com>:
> Zoom Search (and more AJAX)
> I'm not sure if anyone has ever looked into it, but jqPlot looks like it'd
> be ideal for this. It already has a zoom feature, offers a bit of
> "shininess", and would be quite straight forward to implement, I feel. Since
> pma is already implementing jQuery, using a plugin of it makes sense.
> jqPlot also offers a simple line of best fit. Would a few more simple
> mathematical functions (K-means, standard deviation, Cov?) be worth it?
> While I don't expect anyone to want to do anything serious in a browser, it
> might be worth it to have a simple way of viewing trends without having to
> export the database to something like matlab.

It's very unlikely you will be able to do anything useful with
clustering that way, unless you extend it to more than two variables
and generate group descriptions. Analysis in two dimensions can be
done by simply looking at charted variables, automatic analysis is
useful if you want multivariate analysis which can't be done easily
that way.

Personally, I would steer away from any advanced statistical analysis
- just concentrate on solid visualization of data.

--
Piotr Przybylski