[Phpmyadmin-devel] GSOC - Unit Testing

Herman van Rink rink at initfour.nl
Wed Apr 6 09:14:36 CEST 2011

On 04-04-11 18:19, Стас Зарубін wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Sorry that I'm writing so late.
>
> My name is Stas Zarubin. I'm from Ukraine. Study at Kyiv National
> Taras Shevchenko University.
>
> I have little experience in build automation and testing automation.
> I have successfully used the Selenium in one of the projects. And as I
> have little experience and unit testing.
>
> I would like to join the development of phpMyAdmin this summer.
>
> I would like to know what your expectations to achieve this task.
> What the percentage of coverage coverage do you expect.

Well as 100% might be a bit out there... :)
I would love to have the basic functionality of all major parts. In
percentages ... more than 50%
After that people interested in a specific area can expand on these
particular tests.

> I've already made a fork of your project on gitorious -
> https://gitorious.org/phpmyadmin-zsv, which slowly began to cover by
> the unit tests the main parts of the application.
> I will periodically publish Code Coverage reports on my new blog -
> http://zsv.org.ua

I'll have a look later today.

> In the rules was said that require the sending of a patch for
> participation in the GSOC.
> My bug fix was rejected (I misunderstood the meaning of error).
> Can I instead submit couple of unit tests?

The intention of that rule is to see some actual contribution of a
student before the summer begins.
So, yes if you can put useful contributions in a git repo then that's
fine with me.

> P.S. Draft of my application - http://zsv.org.ua/?page_id=2

You mention Atlassian Bamboo, as that is proprietary software how would
you compare it to something like Hudson/Jenkins?.

--

Met vriendelijke groet / Regards,

Herman van Rink
Initfour websolutions