[Phpmyadmin-devel] New navigation frame resize handler

Isaac Bennetch bennetch at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 18:03:22 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 8/1/2011 7:06 AM, Tyron Madlener wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 1:38 PM, Rouslan Placella<rouslan at placella.com>  wrote:
>> Is it? Getting rid of frames would mean that if JS or ajax is disabled
>> in PMA, then a whole page must be refreshed in order to refresh the
>> navigation or even to browse the navigation tree. Don't get me wrong,
>> I'm the first one to say that frames suck, but I just don't see how we
>> can deliver content efficiently without them.
>
> Yes that is very true. All the Ajax/JS features have to be really
> stable and be widely accepted before we can remove frames then. That
> probably will still take 1-5 years.

Given the outcry about the new AJAX features, I'd warn against doing
this any time soon. Some people love it, some people hate it, but at
least right now they can use DisableAjax which seems to keep everyone
happy. I know frames present their own problems, but right now they seem
to be the best solution taking everyone's needs in to account.