[Phpmyadmin-devel] legal concerns about external libraries

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Thu Aug 4 20:10:48 CEST 2011

Hi

Dne Wed, 3 Aug 2011 15:48:12 +0200
Dieter Adriaenssens <dieter.adriaenssens at gmail.com> napsal(a):

> I wouldn't drop Excel (97/2003 or 2007) export just like that, unless
> nobody seems to use it of course. ;)
> F.e. : It's very useful to export data from a database using a query
> to an excel-sheet to use for further analysis (or other uses).
> Since both Excel 2003 and 2007 (and other versions) are still widely
> used, I don't think that any of them can be dropped.
> It's true that CSV-export can be used for that, but it would mean an
> extra step to convert to Excel.

You can open CSV files with Excel without any extra step, I think it
will ask you to change format when you try to save it.

> I had a brief look at the PHPExcel library yesterday and I think it
> will be possible to remove a lot from the library that we don't use,
> including the OLE part (which would solve the license problem). OLE is
> used to link objects (like an excel sheet or a graph) to other
> documents/applications, but we don't use that when exporting to Excel
> format.

Stripping down the library would be option as well.

> True, but the phpMyAdmin package has to be installed by someone
> anyway. It could be part of the installation procedure to install the
> PHPExcel library somewhere.

pear installation should be easy enough.

> But then again, this might cause compatibility problems with future
> releases of both phpMyAdmin and PHPExcel.

Indeed, thought requiring exact version should be possible.

--
	Michal Čihař | http://cihar.com | http://phpmyadmin.cz