[Phpmyadmin-devel] legal concerns about external libraries

Dieter Adriaenssens dieter.adriaenssens at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 09:32:20 CEST 2011

2011/8/8 Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info>:
> Marc Delisle a écrit :
>> Michal Čihař a écrit :
>>> Hi

>>> Yes, it was completely different code compared to current one and it did
>>> require setup from user (it required temporary dir to construct files).

>>> For whatever feature, you will always find at least one user :-).
>>
>> True but for a feature that has been in the code since 2004, the base of
>>   persons using it has had the time to grow. Especially when we're
>> talking about a product as popular as MS Excel.
>>

> Well, a few days after asking on the phpmyadmin-users list about this,
> we got four answers and they are happy with using CSV for their export
> and import needs.

I find it strange there are no objections against removing support for
import/export excel files from our user base, but if nobody really
needs it, then we can remove it I guess.

> Removing PHPExcel for the upcoming 3.5 is something we could easily do,
> and we could also remove it for the 3.4.5 release (or 3.4.4-rc2) so that
> the Fedora team can see the licensing issue resolved for our current
> stable release.

I'll remove PHPExcel and the import/export for Excel from QA_3_4, or
shall I create a branch first, to test it?

> Still have to verify the tcpdf issue, however.
>

> --
> Marc Delisle
> http://infomarc.info

Groetjes,