[Phpmyadmin-devel] legal concerns about external libraries

Dieter Adriaenssens dieter.adriaenssens at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 21:10:43 CEST 2011

2011/8/10 Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info>:
> Le 2011-08-10 03:32, Dieter Adriaenssens a écrit :

>>> Well, a few days after asking on the phpmyadmin-users list about this,
>>> we got four answers and they are happy with using CSV for their export
>>> and import needs.
>>
>> I find it strange there are no objections against removing support for
>> import/export excel files from our user base, but if nobody really
>> needs it, then we can remove it I guess.
>
> As Michal said, "for whatever feature, you will always find at least one
> user" so at this point, I'm not saying that nobody needs it. However,
> these users should find that CSV import/export is a correct replacement
> for this feature.
>

>>> Removing PHPExcel for the upcoming 3.5 is something we could easily do,
>>> and we could also remove it for the 3.4.5 release (or 3.4.4-rc2) so that
>>> the Fedora team can see the licensing issue resolved for our current
>>> stable release.
>>
>> I'll remove PHPExcel and the import/export for Excel from QA_3_4, or
>> shall I create a branch first, to test it?
>
> I don't think a branch is necessary. Please do the removal.

library/PHPExcel and native Excel import/export was removed from
QA_3_4 (ready for 3.4.5) and master.
I've run into some things that seemed to be used only by Excel
export/import, but haven't removed them yet :

- config option TempDir -> according to Documentation.html this was
needed for Excel export, the option is only used in File.Class.php ->
checkUploadedFile()
- checkUploadedFile () -> not used anymore
- PMA_getColumnNumberFromName() -> not used

Shall I remove them as well, or will they be needed in the future?

BTW : PMA_getColumnAlphaName() is still used by ods import

>>> Still have to verify the tcpdf issue, however.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Marc Delisle
>>> http://infomarc.info

> Marc Delisle