[Phpmyadmin-devel] Any last wishes?

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Mon Aug 15 17:22:57 CEST 2011

Hi

Dne Mon, 15 Aug 2011 15:54:18 +0300
Tyron Madlener <tyronx at gmail.com> napsal(a):

> Resending to devlist...
>
> On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 3:53 PM, Tyron Madlener <tyronx at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 11:19 AM, Michal Čihař <michal at cihar.com> wrote:
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> what I would like to see:
> >>
> >> - improve page load speed, currently it takes quite long till tabs are
> >>  initialized
> >
> > - Do you have any knowledge about js/config.js? It doesn't look like
> > it's needed on the status page at all. Maybe we could include this
> > file only where it's needed.

Yes, it does check if user has saved configuration in local browser
storage and if he does, asks if he wants to load it.

> > - I could load the status variables on demand (when the user clicks
> > the tab), I guess that would be the next best speed improvement.
> >
> > Apart from these two optimizations I'm not sure whether there's
> > anything left to optimize that would result in big loading speed
> > improvements. Well I could also load the query statistics on demand.
> > But having almost every tab load on demand only shifts the loading
> > time to a later point.

I don't think loading of the code is the problem here - all files load
in about half second, while the jQuery tabs are initialized in around
five seconds. Not sure what is happening in meantime.

> > Also I'm not sure whether it's really necessary for the status page to
> > load so quick. Each tab has some sort of refresh functionality so you
> > never have to fully reload the page anyway.
> >
> >> - automatically start monitor when switching to monitor tab
> >>

> > I'm also not so sure about this. The Monitor adds some overhead to the
> > mysql server as well as to your client browser, through the regular
> > refreshes.
> > Having it start automatically it will be more likely that people will
> > have the monitor running without actually needing it.
> >
> > Though, I do agree that showing an empty page instead isn't very nice either.

That's exactly what I don't like about it.

--
	Michal Čihař | http://cihar.com | http://phpmyadmin.cz