[Phpmyadmin-devel] Notifications about new versions

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Wed Feb 2 11:54:09 CET 2011

Hi all

I've played a little bit with javascript and hacked notifications about
newer version available on phpMyAdmin main page. It is asynchronous so
it should not block page loading and if the request is blocked for
whatever reason, nothing happens. Patch is attached.

Such feature is quite common for web applications, however I'm still not
sure if we want to introduce such thing on main page. Opinions?

PS: We already have check in setup, but it requires server side access
to download from remote sites what is often prohibited. And nobody
visits setup after the application is installed.