[Phpmyadmin-devel] Notifications about new versions

Dieter Adriaenssens dieter.adriaenssens at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 13:28:40 CET 2011

Hi,

2011/2/2 Michal Čihař <michal at cihar.com>:
> Hi all
>
> I've played a little bit with javascript and hacked notifications about
> newer version available on phpMyAdmin main page. It is asynchronous so
> it should not block page loading and if the request is blocked for
> whatever reason, nothing happens. Patch is attached.
>
> Such feature is quite common for web applications, however I'm still not
> sure if we want to introduce such thing on main page. Opinions?

I think it's a good idea to have such a feature. If there is a new
version, at least you will be notified (if you're not subcribed to
phpmyadmin-users mailinglist, or following the news-feed).

It can be useful to only show it to an admin, i.e. the person how is
able to upgrade the application, but that would be difficult to find
out, as the mysql_users table doesn't give that kind of info.

BTW: Will you distinguish between major/minor versions? I mean, if you
are running 2.11.* will you only get notified of the newest 2.11.*
release, or will it show 3.3.9?

> PS: We already have check in setup, but it requires server side access
> to download from remote sites what is often prohibited. And nobody
> visits setup after the application is installed.

True.
Most people only visit it one time, not even when doing an upgrade.
But when you're already doing an upgrade, you probably know there is a
newer version.