[Phpmyadmin-devel] Redirecting external links

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Mon Jan 31 15:58:44 CET 2011

Hi

Dne Mon, 31 Jan 2011 15:51:59 +0100
Dieter Adriaenssens <dieter.adriaenssens at gmail.com> napsal(a):

> Would it be default behaviour to redirect through phpmyadmin.net, or
> is at an option?

Probably as an option (enabled by default if phpMyAdmin is not using
SSL).

> What if phpmyadmin.net is unavailable (down, or not reachable by the
> network where a local version of pma is installed), will links in PMA
> not work?

Exactly this is a problem I see as well.

> If an external redirector is used, isn't the Referer sent with the
> HTTP request header, traveling the internet in cleartext?

Yes. Anyway currently almost all outgoing links are HTTP, so the
information does travel unencrypted as well. The advantage would be
that it is not available to others as easily as now (referer is stored
in web server logs, processed by statistic tools such as Google
Analytics and so on).