[Phpmyadmin-devel] Redirecting external links

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Mon Jan 31 16:28:29 CET 2011

Hi

Dne Mon, 31 Jan 2011 16:23:03 +0100
Dieter Adriaenssens <dieter.adriaenssens at gmail.com> napsal(a):

> I just don't like the idea that for using my local version of PMA I
> would need an external server to be available.
> If I'm not mistaken, every click would be redirected through the
> external site? If there is a slow connection with the external
> redirector, it will slow down using your local version of PMA.

I'm talking only about external links, not links inside phpMyAdmin. So
it usually means (but is not limited to) links to documentation.

> This causes a lot of (unencrypted) traffic going to the external
> server and back, while without the external redirector, only the
> outgoing links might contain sensitive info that leaves your network.
> (This of course doesn't apply when you access PMA on a remote website,
> then everything is sent over the internet anyway)
>
> And about Google Analytics, it only applies if you installed it on
> your site (which is not trivial/'out of the box'), and it gets the
> Referer immediately, not by analysing the web server logs (but you
> where refering to other tools, I guess ;) )

Only if it is installed on external site. For example MySQL website uses
SiteCatalyst which also does collect such data.

> I'm just wondering if using the redirector-thing is not introducing
> more problems than it solves? Wouldn't it be a better idea to keep the
> url clean? I realise this is not always easy to do, and probably near
> impossible when sessions are not allowed on a web browsing client.

The url is already cleaned up by redirector inside phpMyAdmin. The only
think which leaks right now is URL of the installation. (Talking about
current git).