[Phpmyadmin-devel] Some bugs in master

Tyron Madlener tyronx at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 10:14:26 CEST 2011

2011/7/12 Michal Čihař <michal at cihar.com>:
> Hi
>
> You again missed reply to list, moving discussion back there :-).
>
> Dne Tue, 12 Jul 2011 18:48:57 +0300
> Tyron Madlener <tyronx at gmail.com> napsal(a):
>
>> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 3:49 PM, Michal Čihař <michal at cihar.com> wrote:
>> > Hi

>> > There is already similar logic for InnoDB or views, so only another
>> > engine should be added here.
>>
>> Do you know in which file/line this is?
>
> It should be libraries/display_tbl.lib.php somewhere near usage of
> MaxExactCount.

This code there is seriously odd. $unlim_num_rows seems to be the
total count of rows, which, from what I can see, is calculated in
PMA_setDisplayMode()
There it calls PMA_Table::countRecords($db, $table) without checking
for views or innodb. countRecords() in Table.class.php I can see it
doesn't calculate the count for views or only up to a limit of
MaxExactCountViews.

But I don't see any limit being applied when the table engine is InnoDB.

Either way, for limiting the count on CSV Engine tables, I guess that
should be done in countRecords() in Table.class.php?

>> Next suggestion :D
>> Just saw in header_scripts.inc.php that codemirror.js and mysql.js is
>> included globally. Isn't that a bit overkill? Not every page (like my
>> status page) requires codemirror.
>
> I don't think it hurts that much (browser should have that file in
> cache), generally I was too lazy to figure out in which all places SQL
> box needing highlighting might appear.

But the javascript still needs to be parsed and executed by the
browser each time, adding delay. Also it still requires it's own GET
request, returning 304. Chrome seems to even skip the GET requests if
the page is not refreshed, but firefox 5 doesn't do that in my tests.

The status page currently loads 21 seperate javascript files, and the
delay introduced by this gets quite the noticeable. So I would like to
keep the amount of loaded js files as small as possible by removing
what is not required
- codemiror.js + mysql.js should only go where it's needed (-2)
- load chart export on demand (-3)
- load monitor js code on demand (-2.5)
- We could merge always included files into one: functions.js, jquery,
jquery.ui,  jquery.qtip (-3)

Then the amount of loaded files would be half already, in the case of
the status page.

Checking with chromes devtools it takes around 4 seconds to load the
status page. With js disabled it takes around 2.3 seconds. So the js
accounts for almost half the loading time (and CSS Sprites could
probably save us half of that 2.3secs).

With the js files reduced, the not immediately needed js code loaded
only on demand and css sprites I bet we could get the loading time
down to 2 seconds. 4s is way to much imo.