[Phpmyadmin-devel] Collapsible navigation frame

Tyron Madlener tyronx at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 19:16:57 CEST 2011

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 7:51 PM, Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> wrote:
> Tyron Madlener a écrit :
>> Just had a good idea how to fix the 'open in new tab' workaround for
>> getting more space on various pages (particularly useful on the status
>> monitor). I've implemented a very quick demonstration on how a
>> collapsible navigation frame could work like. If the idea is good and
>> the feature can go to master, I will implemented it better. Also it
>> could need a better icon.
>>
>> Commit 5fb7f9cd1716ae747a6e898ee6e92c864d4da6dc and
>> 05dd085aeb0334d1e9ee68037efb563866892164 do the magic. It will make an
>> arrow appear vertically centered on the nav frame.
>> Should be testable anytime soon on http://demo.phpmyadmin.net/gsoc-tyron
>
> Tyron,
> Taking into account that phpMyAdmin currently has the navi panel inside
> a frame, what's the advantage (apart from the look) of this, compared to
> just dragging the vertical separator line?

That it is significantly less convenient to find that 3 pixel wide
area where you can drag the frame, then move it to the end of the
screen. Also it doesn't seem to be possible in Chrome. Also there's no
visual indicator showing this is possible, so the average user might
never be aware of it.

I have to mention though, my current code doesn't seem to work in
Opera. But I guess that is only a matter of some bug fixing.