[Phpmyadmin-devel] Drizzle Support

Tyron Madlener tyronx at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 14:41:37 CEST 2011

Looking at the current way drizzle support is being implemented, it
seems like it's going to be made with a PMA_DRIZZLE constant and a lot
of if()'s all over pmas codebase. That sounds somehow messy to me.
Isn't there a way with some git branching magic + regularly merging
back or "preprocessor" (the conversion scripts before releasing pma,
like its done with pootle) directives to keep those things seperate?

Looking at the significant differences between MySQL and Drizzles this
seems like a non-trivial change on pmas codebase. I don't know how the
typical use cases are but I don't think a typical user will require
phpmyadmin to be able to switch between MySQL and Drizzle. So what
about releasing a drizzle supporting version of pma seperate from the
mysql supporting version?

If another noticeable MySQL fork comes out that pma wants to support,
things would only get messier in the codebase. Or if it turns out that
the Drizzle Database isn't such a good thing and the project dies it
would be easier to remove it from pma when the code is being kept
seperate.