[Phpmyadmin-devel] GIS visualization

Tyron Madlener tyronx at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 15:58:20 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 3:29 PM, Madhura Jayaratne <madhura.cj at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 6:16 PM, Tyron Madlener <tyronx at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 2:35 PM, Madhura Jayaratne <madhura.cj at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> > Hi Tyron,
>> > For my work I am not doing any conversions as such. I am generating SVGs
>> > and
>> > PNG separately in their basic forms. It's not that I generate it in one
>> > form
>> > and converting it to the other.
>> > --
>>
>> Does that mean you use jQuery SVG to generate the SVG and build/use
>> another rendering library that generates the PNG/PDF? Why not just
>> build a converter? That seems like a more reusable solution.
>>
> I use GD extension to generate PNGs and will be using TCPDF (which is
> already included in PMA) to generate PDFs. Since both GD and TCPDF support
> rendering basic shapes, I find this approach needs only few additional lines
> of code, which would not have been the case if I am to build a converter.

A disadvantage is that you will have duplicate code. Also if we would
have a converter we could include some cool features such as exporting
the SVG with its currently selected zoom level and pan - which might
turn out really useful for big amounts of data.

And it will turn out really useful when I'm allowed use Highcharts for
the status page. There the conversion code will be ~100% reusable.

So how about we build one together? :)
There should be some lib for it anyway. Might even turn out to be
easier than the code to generate a PNG.