[Phpmyadmin-devel] Is PMA_STR_binarySearchInArr needed?

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Wed Jun 8 09:41:13 CEST 2011

Hi

Dne Tue, 07 Jun 2011 12:22:02 -0400
Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> napsal(a):

> I tested on a 64-bit Linux machine (running as a VM under ESX 4.1) under
> PHP 5.3.6-RC3 and got different results (for current master):
>
> Binary search:    0.6088
> array_search:     2.0246
> isset:            0.0068
> array_key_exists: 0.0176

I get similar numbers as well:

Binary search:    0.6937
array_search:     3.393
isset:            0.0056
array_key_exists: 0.0228

What is also interesting is worst results achieved during search for all
words in the array:

Binary search:    1.3098
array_search:     4.0101
isset:            0.0333
array_key_exists: 0.0868

Both binary search and array_search give pretty inconsistent results.

For the flipped array you expect to call array_flip or change data
structure to already contain flipped array? I assume latter, because
otherwise overhead for flipping array would probably make results worse.

PS: in_array seems to perform slightly better than array_search.