[Phpmyadmin-devel] Column reordering

Rouslan Placella rouslan at placella.com
Sat Jun 11 22:27:35 CEST 2011

On Sat, 2011-06-11 at 14:05 +0100, Rouslan Placella wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-06-11 at 10:58 +0700, Aris Feryanto wrote:

I also found another small issue that you might want to look into. The
pointer image that shows the user where the column that is being
reordered is about to be dropped is not loaded until it's class is
attached to the display element by jQuery. So this means that the
pointer does not appear instantly when you move a column for the first
time, but has to be downloaded first (about a second on my crappy
internet connection on the demo server). There are two ways (that I know
of) to fix this. You can attach the base64 encoded images inline with
the data URI scheme (both, directly in the stylesheet or through jQuery)
[1] or make a sprite from the two pointers that you have and load 1
transparent pixel from the sprite at page load (this will force the
whole sprite to load) [2].
Also those pointer images that you used could be smaller. Currently they
are saved in PNG format with an unnecessary comment that reads "Created
with GIMP", an sRGB profile which is pointless since you only have black
and transparent pixels and compression level 1. By removing the comment,
the sRGB profile and by using compression level 9 you can get each image
down from ~200bytes to ~100bytes. Or you could just save the images in
GIF format which would bring the size down from ~200bytes to ~60bytes
each. Hope this helps.

Rouslan

[1]: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_URI_scheme
[2]: http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_image_sprites.asp