[Phpmyadmin-devel] GSoC 2011: Support for Routines

Dieter Adriaenssens dieter.adriaenssens at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 00:21:08 CEST 2011

2011/6/13 Rouslan Placella <rouslan at placella.com>:
> On Sun, 2011-06-12 at 21:19 +0200, Dieter Adriaenssens wrote:

>> Hi Rouslan,
>>
>> Looks good. I was able to add, edit, execute, export and drop a routine.
>> Few remarks :
>>
>> * when adding a routine, it is not added to the list of routines (a
>> reload of the page is required)
>
> Odd, it works just fine for me in Chrome/Linux and the routine is added
> to the list straight away via JS. I'll have another look at any possible
> issues in the code that adds the new entry to the list. But, could you
> plese double-check that it indeed is not working? Thanks

It seems to work when there is already a routine in the list, but not
when the list of routines was empty.

Other issue : when trying to add a routine with an error, a message is
shown, but it seems to me it goes away too fast. The first time I was
not able to read the complete message before it dissappeared.
But I guess this issue is not limited to your project, but relates to
every (error) message that is shown in AJAX mode.

>> * it might be just me, but it's not really clear that there are other
>> parameters (like 'Definer', 'Security Type', ...) to consider
>> following 'Definition', because they are not visible until you scroll
>> down. Is there a way of making the scroll bar stand out more, or make
>> it more clear that there is more to fill in after 'Definition'.
>
> The "Go" button could go to the bottom of the form (it was there until
> last week), so that the user is forced to scroll, but I thought that the
> disadvantage (scrolling when you don't need to) outweighs the benefits.
> I'll have a look at styling scrollbars later, anyway. We'll see if
> anything nice comes out of that.
>
> Thanks for your feedback, Dieter.
>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Dieter

>> > Hi there,
>> >
>> > This week I got the "Support for Routines" functionality mostly coded
>> > in. There are still a few outstanding bugs that I'm aware of, like
>> > problems with special characters in routine and parameter names. But
>> > other than those and the need for more code refactoring and tidying up,
>> > I think that the interface is pretty much finished. If you have time I'd
>> > appreciate if you test this functionality out and let me know what you
>> > make of it. The demo server [1] and GIT repo [2] are at their usual
>> > locations. The report for this week is also available on my blog [3].
>> > Thanks for any help.
>> >
>> > Bye,
>> > Rouslan
>> >
>> > [1]: http://demo.phpmyadmin.net/gsoc-rouslan/