[Phpmyadmin-devel] Zoom-search suggestions

Tyron Madlener tyronx at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 21:06:29 CEST 2011

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 8:58 PM, Ammar Yasir <ammaryasir.88 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 4:42 PM, Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> wrote:
>>
>> Le 2011-06-17 18:16, Ammar Yasir a écrit :

> I used the jquery-ui plugin and implemented this.
>>

>> > :) I'll try and look into it.

>> > I was also very much concerned about this. This happens even with the
>> > 'Display chart' functionality in the browse tab. I pre-fetch the table
>> > for
>> > making the initial plot and store the data row for each point. One
>> > solution
>> > can be like: Now I'm generating query like 'Select * from table' which
>> > I'll
>> > change to 'Select x,y from table' and then when hovering or clicking
>> > over
>> > the plot, I'll fetch the data row.
>>
>> Your solution of fetching just the needed columns will help, but we'll
>> need another safeguard for big tables. I'm thinking of a configurable
>> maximum of rows to fetch. Think of it, showing millions (or even
>> thousands) of dots won't make any sense.
>>
> So like in table browse mode we can generate the plot for 500/250 rows. Then
> if user wants we can replot with the next 500/250. Although I agree it will
> only complicate the plot and its hard to make sense from the plot.
> Or we can also ask the limit as input but I think the user might find it
> annoying or unnecessary.

for the 'Display chart' feature I thought of using a zoom feature like
this: http://www.highcharts.com/demo/dynamic-master-detail

What if we make 2 sql queries to find out the min and max value of the
'x-axis', then select like 100-200 values that are equally distributed
over the x-axis and display those?

Hope that was understandable.