[Phpmyadmin-devel] about Blowfish in PHP

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Tue Jun 21 15:53:31 CEST 2011

Hi

Dne Tue, 21 Jun 2011 09:04:47 -0400
Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> napsal(a):

> This is to answer your question in the git comment about updating
> Blowfish library.
>
> Indeed it would be a good idea to switch to PEAR package Crypt_Blowfish.

What slightly frightens me here is last stable release from 2005-05-30
(and beta from 2008-08-30).

> By the way, did you test the new version from Horde?

Yes, anyway there are no real functional changes.

> I am curious about the response time, because we found in the past that
> running Blowfish encryption in PHP (for those who don't have the mcrypt
> PHP extension) added many seconds of delay *for each click in phpMyAdmin*.

I did not notice any slowdown on my system (Intel Core Duo
E8200  @ 2.66GHz).

I've looked deeper at it now and it seems to add around 60ms to each
request.