[Phpmyadmin-devel] Create table dialog

Tyron Madlener tyronx at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 14:56:23 CEST 2011

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 2:29 PM, Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> wrote:
> Le 2011-06-25 08:07, Tyron Madlener a écrit :
>> I apologize for my directness but the newly implemented 'Create table'
>> Dialog has an awful usability.
>
> Tyron,
> thanks for your post. There are two issues here:
>
> 1. the AJAX create table dialog
>
> 2. the ENUM/SET editor
>
> and they should be discussed separately.
>
> About 1, I am wondering if AJAXification was an advantage here. See also
> the discussion on 2011-04-08 "Issues with AJAX" on this list. I
> suggested a mechanism to hide most form fields by default.

Thanks, I've read through the conversation. I would agree on hiding
rarely used fields like "Browser transformation,Transformation
options,MIME type" but otherwise such feature in my opinion would only
decrease usability.
Hiding most form fields maybe fixes the problem, but it doesn't fix the cause.

I don't think an ajax dialog for 'create table' is inherently worse.
It could actually be significantly better if for example the dialog
could span over the left frame as well, giving more editing space than
the old style create table page.