[Phpmyadmin-devel] Show/hide column feature

Aris Feryanto aris_feryanto at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 27 06:25:05 CEST 2011

----- Original Message -----

> From: Aris Feryanto <aris_feryanto at yahoo.com>
>
> On 25 Jun 2011, at 19:21, Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> wrote:
>
>>  Le 2011-06-24 14:53, Tyron Madlener a écrit :

> you

> repeatCells =
> display
> unfortunately, it
> "hide"

>>>  Looks good, but how about you put "CTRL + Click to hide" into
> the
>>>  tooltip and remove the X button therefore? Otherwise theres many
>>>  features within a really small space, that way its getting difficult
>>>  to select the right one.
>>
>>  Aris,
>>  I am in favor of removing the X button. On the positive side, it's a
>>  quick way to hide a column but after it's hidden, the user wonders how
>>  to put it back. If you give to the user the idea that some action
>>  directly in the column can hide it, his mind is set in the wrong track
>>  about how to restore the column.
>
> Hmm. Yes, you are right. I'm confinced that it is better to remove the X
> button.  I asked my friend to try and she didn't get the way to restore the
> column visibility easily.
>
> I think I would try to remove X button and emphasize the drop-down arrow by
> adding a hint as you suggested below, Marc.

Done in my git. The demo has been updated and you may try it at the usual location [0].

>>>  Also I think it would be enough to add one button that resets column
>>>  order and show/hide state, instead of 2 separate ones.
>>
>>  I'm not sure about this; the ideas are different.
>>
>>  About the arrow selector in the big T cell, how about some hint showed
>>  to the user?
>>
>>  In this selector, there could be also a "(all)" checkbox on top,
> which
>>  is something standard to see on top of a series of checkboxes; if you go
>>  this way, the button in navigation might not be needed.
>
> I think "show all" button in the top and bottom of the list would
> work. If we use (all) checkbox, it would give the user an idea that we can hide
> all columns, which is pointless when we are browsing a table.

Done in my git. The "show all" button will only appear in the top and bottom of the list if the list is too long (> 10). Otherwise, it will appear only at the bottom of the list.

I also fixed the "too many" <th> while browsing in vertical mode in my last commit (ba4515212a24c1d81a7251e85a82d7c8649b7604). But not sure if changes in my commit are the best way to fix it.

[0] http://demo.phpmyadmin.net/gsoc-aris

--
Aris Feryanto