[Phpmyadmin-devel] Better table navigation

Marc Delisle marc at infomarc.info
Thu Jun 30 17:12:47 CEST 2011

Le 2011-06-30 10:41, Tyron Madlener a écrit :
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 12:08 PM, Aris Feryanto<aris_feryanto at yahoo.com>  wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> Current table navigation seems to be little messy, so I tried to make the
>> table navigation tidier and more compact. You may see the screenshot at [0]
>> or try the demo at usual location [1]. Feel free to give any comment or
>> suggestion on this.
>>   [0] https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Xs_dOR1F0WoXW4_dTB1CLhOTKK2V2rX6_OFfHt2Qo5E?feat=directlink
>> [1] http://demo.phpmyadmin.net/gsoc-aris
>
> This is great, I've also found the navigation pretty messy but
> couldn't come up with a good idea.
> But as Marc mentions, the bar needs to get smaller. On my X61s
> Thinkpad with only a resolution of 1024x768 a big part will be outside
> the visible area.
>
> Making the horizontal/vertical select list smaller would be one step
> (or removing it altogether)

Seeing very few positive feedback on the devel and users list about the
vertical browse mode, I am in favor of removing this feature.

Or ...we could make the appearance of this select list configurable, the
default being not visible. This way, people relying on this very old
feature could configure it if they want to, but for the majority, the
selector would be out of the way.

If we decide to do this, we should remove vertical support for the
special features like inline edit and the column reordering. All the new
stuff would be planned only for horizontal mode.