[Phpmyadmin-devel] GSoG 2011: Reg Zoom-search idea

Piotr Przybylski piotr.prz at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 12:03:21 CET 2011

2011/3/23 Ammar Yasir <ammaryasir.88 at gmail.com>:

> On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 1:01 AM, Piotr Przybylski <piotr.prz at gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> > I think it's more when the user ceases to see big clusters of data
>> > points and is able to perceive the distinct points.

>> Maybe SVG? Vector output would give users faster feedback (no need to
>> generate big bitmaps on the server and send them) and allow for fluent
>> scaling in browser. Recently even IE got native support, with the
>> release of IE 9.
>>
> What about JpGraph?

JpGraph generates bitmaps, I am proposing SVG to avoid this and
provide scaling in browser. With bitmap output any panning and zooming
will require round trips to server and execution of (almost) the same
query again. With SVG you can generate one image and process it in
browser. It will give users faster feedback and save us from including
another charting library.

--
Piotr Przybylski