[Phpmyadmin-devel] Interested in project ideas for GSoC 2011

Madhura Jayaratne madhura.cj at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 05:48:48 CEST 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 10:37 PM, Madhura Jayaratne
<madhura.cj at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 9:03 PM, Michal Čihař <michal at cihar.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> Dne Mon, 31 Jan 2011 11:21:24 +0530
>> Madhura Jayaratne <madhura.cj at gmail.com> napsal(a):
>>
>> > When I was looking at the 'Idea List' for GSoC 2011, I came across two
>> > project ideas that interest me. I would like to know more about these ideas,
>> > so I would be able to focus on one specific project idea.
>>
>> That's only ideas list, it's up to you to come with proposal for GSoC
>> and we then choose only the best proposals.
>>
>> > The first project idea I'm interested in is 'OpenGIS support'
>> > [1]<http://wiki.phpmyadmin.net/pma/GSoC_2011_Ideas_List#OpenGIS_support>.
>> > As a first step I went through the MySQL documentation on 'Spacial
>> > Extension' [2]<http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/spatial-extensions.html>.
>> > I would like to know a rough outline of the features that is expected to be
>> > implemented under OpenGIS support.
>>
>> At least editing and displaying types nicely. Adding some search
>> interface would be handy as well.
>>
> Hi Michal,
> Thanks for the clarifications.
> I will research more on data types, functions of OpenGIS to get a thorough understanding on them. Meanwhile I'll come up with a set of features for the GSoC proposal based on the suggestions you made.
> Further I will submit patche(s) as proof of concept for one or two small features I wish to implement under GSoC.
> P.S: Thanks for coming up as the mentor for this project idea. :)
>>
>> --
>>        Michal Čihař | http://cihar.com | http://blog.cihar.com

Hi Michal,

I have added patch file as proof of concept for the visualizing GIS
data. You can find it here at [1].

This patch makes it able to visualize GIS data. This was done using
the flot library. Please note that flot was chosen simply because this
is just a proof of concept and I was playing around with it for some
other task. I'm open to consider the pros and cons of other options
and chose the most suitable library for the final implementation

Features:
1. 'Visualize GIS data' link is displayed in 'Query results options'
pane ONLY for query results that has atleast one geometric column.
2. Visualization can be zoomed in, zoomed out and panned (thanx to flot)
3. If there are more than one geometric columns in the results, the
user can chose which column to be used for th visualization
4. User can chose out of non-geometric columns a label column, which
can be used for either tooltips or legend (to be implemeted)
5. User can resize the visualization.

Known limitations:
1. Here I have implemented this only for multipolygons.
2. I'm yet to handle the case where there is void area inside a polygon
3. function 'PMA_GIS_modify_query()' should be made more robust.

Enhancements:
1. Can be extended to other geometric types. Extending to other types
is a simple task. Would love to do so if you are happy with the patch.
2. As mentioned earlier tooltips or legend using label column would be nice.

--
Thanks and Regards,
Madhura Jayaratne

[1] https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3248445&group_id=23067&atid=377410#