[Phpmyadmin-devel] GSoC 2011 : User interface cleanup

Benoit best-ben at hotmail.fr
Sun Mar 27 07:19:45 CEST 2011

Hi everyone,

My name is Benoit Dumesnil,
I am actually studying computer science at the university of Rouen (France) and I’m very interested by the “User interface cleanup“ idea.
I have begun to use PMA some years ago for my own needs but I’m currently using it for my courses so this would be a huge opportunity to be accepted into GSoC and to be able to help.

So for the interface, taking account of the requests, I tought that we need to create 2 different modes :
A basic mode : The user can only import/export databases ( or tables ) and modify the content of tables.
                         This means too to simplify the interface and hide some complicated functions for beginners.
                         For basic user we could also add tooltips to explain elements when the user put the cursor on them.
An admin mode : The user can see everything but he can also hide the parts that he doesn’t want to see and keep an eye only on important data.
                             The user can set the things he want to keep into the settings menu.

I have also thought that in the main menu the user could modify the size, move or add menus like some kind of widgets.

Of course suggestions are welcome.

Best regards,
Benoit Dumesnil