[Phpmyadmin-devel] GSoG 2011: Reg Zoom-search idea

Ammar Yasir ammaryasir.88 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 01:45:41 CEST 2011

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 4:20 PM, Marc Delisle <marc at infomarc.info> wrote:

> Le 2011-03-25 16:02, Ammar Yasir a écrit :
>
> > Thanks for the comments. I'll try to include all possibilities (using
> > existing pChart or SVG) in my proposal. One more question, it was
> required
> > on our part to submit a patch before we submit our proposal.
> > I submitted a patch for mass table prefix change (
> >
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3220779&group_id=23067&atid=377410
> ).
> > Its for one of the 'Tasks for Junior developers' and its working fine
> (nijel
> > verified that) but not accepted yet, so will it count or I'll have to do
> > something more before I could submit?
>
> I changed the resolution to "accepted" and you don't need to send
> another patch before sending your project proposal.
>
> Thanks

I had a doubt (it might be silly but I thought I should ask). One important
feature of such a data visualization system is that it should not create
confusion or represent something that the data is not. Consider the movie
database example, when a user sees a plot of ratings vs  year /  genre vs
lanuage, a lot of data points will overlap. So a lot of data will be hidden
from the user at the first sight. What will a user make out of it? I know we
handle such conditions by providing all the data instances when he clicks on
the point but a user might not go that far. If he is not able to understand
the initial plot he might not continue further ( like not zoom in/click data
point). I am just a little concerned about the usability part and not the
functionality.