[Phpmyadmin-devel] Wanna join OOPs implementation

Dieter Adriaenssens dieter.adriaenssens at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 09:50:17 CEST 2011

2011/3/28 Rakesh Kumar <kumar3180 at gmail.com>:

> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 12:15 AM, Dieter Adriaenssens
> <dieter.adriaenssens at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> 2011/3/28 Rakesh Kumar <kumar3180 at gmail.com>:
>> > Hi,
>> >     I am a student pursuing B Tech(Graduation) in Computer Science and
>> > Engineering from India and i am in final semester.I am new to this
>> > community
>> > and posting my views for the very first time. I want to convert this
>> > application into Three tier architecture. I have worked on PHPMyAdmin
>> > for my
>> > personal purpose.
>> > I also want to work for User Interface improvement but couldn't get so
>> > much
>> > idea about it, if somebody can help me understanding it?
>> > I have a working experience of one year in PHP and i work as a
>> > freelancer
>> > also in PHP for an organization. And this time i want to contribute in
>> > PHPMyadmin as a part of my open source evangelism.
>> > I don't have any idea how to post properly on this list so please guide
>> > me
>> > if i went wrong anywhere.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Thanks and Regards
>> > RAKESH KUMAR
>> > www.linux-delhi.org
>> >

>> Hi Rakesh,
>>
>> Completely converting phpMyAdmin to another system, be it 3-tier
>> architecture, MVC or something else, is out of scope for GSoC.
>>
>> If want to apply for the OOP project of GSoC, you better focus on
>> converting a small part of the current phpMyAdmin code into a class.
>
> You mean current code is just written in raw PHP means without using classes
> and i will have to delve into current project and pick some modules and
> convert it into Object Oriented Pattern.

As indicated in [2], there are already some classes, but basically the
current codebase of phpMyAdmin is mostly not OOP, so that's exactly
what this GSoC project is about.

>> Are you familiar with OOP? Do you know about Design patterns [0] and [1]?
>
> Yes i know it.
>>
>> You can get some inspiration for possible classes : [2]
>
> The classes listed there are the way you want a student to develop or are
> just a proposal which can be different at the time of development.

This is just a list of currently implemented classes and things that
could become classes, see it more as an inspiration. We welcome other
proposals as well.

>> BTW : Did you read the applicants guide [3], especially the part about
>> submitting a patch?
>>
>> [0] https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Design_patterns
>> [1] https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/os-php-designptrns/
>> [2] http://wiki.phpmyadmin.net/pma/Class_structure
>> [3] http://wiki.phpmyadmin.net/pma/GSoC_2011_Applicant_Guide
>
> Yes sir but wanted to ask you that should a student be familiar with Git
> before he joins you or you accept him? does it work like a criteria to
> select anyone?

We use git for our version control, and we expect students to be able
to use it : if you get selected, you will checkin your code in a git
repository so that your mentor can monitor your progress.
Have you used any version control system before (Subversion (svn),
vcs, mercurial, ...)?

More info on how we use git (with links to tutorials) is on our wiki :
http://wiki.phpmyadmin.net/pma/Git

Kind regards,

Dieter