[Phpmyadmin-devel] GSoC 2011: Browse-mode Improvements ++

Michal Čihař michal at cihar.com
Tue Mar 29 15:17:48 CEST 2011

Hi

Dne Mon, 28 Mar 2011 20:10:55 -0700 (PDT)
Aris Feryanto <aris_feryanto at yahoo.com> napsal(a):

> •Edit only selected field
>
> One way to achieve this: modify current edit page to show only selected field.
> When user runs a select query, select some rows, and then click edit, some
> variables will be passed to edit page, so it hides fields that are not shown in
> the query result. Alternatively, an option to show/unhide all fields can be
> added.
>
> •Grid view in the table edit page
>
> Sometimes, users want to be able to edit only certain selected rows, but with a
> browse-like view. (Think of actions: browse -> select some rows -> With
> selected: edit)
>
> I am thinking of improving the edit page, so user can have an option to edit
> table in a grid view instead of current edit view. The grid view will be simple,
> 2D grid, like in browse table. Each cell will be resizable text field, where
> user can change the value directly by typing in it.
>
> I think this will be a complement of inline edit, since we can edit TEXT type
> value (which cannot be edited in inline edit).

Maybe these two could be somehow mixed together? Seeing bugs we had
with inline edit, I'm afraid of adding yet another way for editing
data, what would mean three versions of code doing basically same thing.

I think rather than adding yet another editing mode, it would be more
useful to somehow consolidate what we have right now into shape that it
is usable in more situations. This should probably start with defining
how the data should be editable and which options it should provide
(eg. using MySQL functions and so on).