[Phpmyadmin-devel] GSoC Ideas

Michael Bundy michaeltbundy at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 21:39:25 CEST 2011

Hey,

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 6:57 PM, Dieter Adriaenssens <
dieter.adriaenssens at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> Thanks for your interest in phpMyAdmin GSoC.
>
> 2011/3/31 Michael Bundy <michaeltbundy at gmail.com>:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm a second year CS and EE at Bristol University, England.
> >
> > I have exams until the 17th of June. I know officially students are meant
> > start on the 23rd of May, and I would be willing to make a start then,
> but
> > since I have exams around that period, I wouldn't be able to work on it
> full
> > time until the 17th. Would this be a problem?
>
> So that's about 3 weeks. It depends on how much you can do before,
> after and during your examens. Catching up 3 weeks of full-time (40
> hours/week) development work, might be hard, but I guess you can best
> decide if you will be able to do it.

Yeah. I could probably fit about 8-12 days of work in, so it shouldn't be
too bad. My exams are quite spaced out this year which is quite nice, just
means I have a long exam period.

> > phpMyAdmin OOP
> > This seems like a massive job, as it'd be rewritting the whole of PMA.
> Would
> > there be any opposition to using a framework such as codeigniter?
> > I guess the main question is, would it use none of the old code until it
> is
> > finished, or would it there be a period where it would be OOP and the old
> > procedural stuff?
>
> Turning phpMyAdmin into OOP is huge, so that's why it's not in the
> scope of one GSoC project to rewrite everything. The idea is to
> rewrite small parts of the existing code, and gradually evolving to a
> more OOP phpMyAdmin.
>
> No frameworks, we will just stick to OOP and design patterns.

Ahh, okay. I understand. Makes sense. I just wanted to double check.

> > An argument against CI is that people would have to learn how to use CI.
> But
> > I'd argue that having an arbitrary way of doing it would be more time
> > consuming to learn, and people are likely to know how to use CI, or
> > something similar anyway.
> > Would it be worth splitting this down into a number of student projects,
> > each focusing on a particular part?
>
> Basically there is one OOP project during this GSoC, so we will choose
> the best proposal.
>
> > I'd ultimately like to do this, though before I think about it further,
> I'd
> > want to know whether I could use a framework,  or if it would need to be
> > from scratch.
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Mike
> >

> Good luck with GSoC and with submitting your proposal.
> Please keep in mind that you will need to submit a patch solving a bug
> or a feature request, as is mentioned in the 2nd point of the GSoC
> Applicant Guide :
> http://wiki.phpmyadmin.net/pma/GSoC_2011_Applicant_Guide

Yeah. I saw that. I'm going to do some from tomorrow. I'll try a do a AJAX
related feature request, and another OOP related one.
I guess I should've helped out in the past =\

> Kind regards,
>
> Dieter

Thank you,
Mike