[Phpmyadmin-devel] releasing 3.4.0

Tyron Madlener tyronx at gmail.com
Mon May 9 17:03:11 CEST 2011

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 2:07 PM, Michal Čihař <michal at cihar.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Dne Mon, 9 May 2011 11:26:40 +0200
> Tyron Madlener <tyronx at gmail.com> napsal(a):
>
>> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 10:28 AM, Michal Čihař <michal at cihar.com> wrote:
>> > Hi

>> > I'm fine with releasing at any point (though the weekend you suggested
>> > is over). Preferably ping me short before release so that I can merge
>> > any last minute translations before.
>> >
>> > PS: We now have 15 complete translations, Japanese being the latest
>> > addition.
>>
>> Question. Is your release procedure an automatic process or do you
>> upload the files on sourceforge by hand?
>
> It's automated, see http://wiki.phpmyadmin.net/pma/Releasing
>
>> And secondly, why offer so
>> many archive formats? I find having so many formats is a bit
>> overwhelming for the average downloader.
>
> Because the formats were requested. On main page only zip and tar.gz
> are offered, as these are pretty much standard.
>
>> My random idea of the day would be: Remove .bz2 and .xz (wow, never
>> heard of that one before)
>
> The .xz is new LZMA based compression, which is getting very popular on
> Linux, so no, we're not going to remove this one (and as you can see
> it offers best compression rates). bz2 might be eventually dropped, but
> too much people download it to do it right now.

Looking at the numbers, for version 3.3.10 only 0.38% of the all
languages package are being downloaded in the format .xz and 0.82% for
the english version. It doesn't seem to be very popular at the moment.

>> and instead put a <select>-List on the
>> downloads page listing all downloadable languages that forward you to
>> the download link of pma with only that particular language included.
>> That shouldn't be so much work if the sf.net file upload is automatic,
>> and adds quite some convenience to the users.
>
> Adding more language kits could be indeed useful, but I'd rather
> consider providing separate download for language files instead of
> creating all language variants with all compressions.

Isn't it more convenient for users to have the software available in
their favorite language rather than their favorite archive format?
The only difference with the different archive formats is waiting a
few seconds more or less for it to be downloaded.

Giving just 1 or 2 clear choices for the users makes it easier for
them decide :)