[Phpmyadmin-devel] Prototype implementation - Visualizing GIS data

Madhura Jayaratne madhura.cj at gmail.com
Wed May 11 04:24:04 CEST 2011

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 4:37 AM, Piotr Przybylski <piotr.prz at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2011/5/10 Madhura Jayaratne <madhura.cj at gmail.com>:
> >

> > On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 11:51 PM, Madhura Jayaratne <
> madhura.cj at gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> used

> >> Ooops!!
> >> I opened a patch artifact and attached the sql file there. You can find
> it
> >> at [1]
> >>

> > One problem I encountered during the implementation is that flot does not
> > support drawing polygons with voids inside them. I had to draw another
> > polygon with its fill color set to background color in order to pretend
> the
> > void and i'm not vary happy with that :(
> > However reading the SVG specification I didn't find it to
> support polygons
> > with voids either [1]. I'm wondering what to do about that.
>
> What do you mean by "polygons with voids"? It you mean that you need a
> polygon's outline, use <polyline> with the first point repeated at the
> end, this should do the trick.

In a polygon object like
POLYGON((35 10,10 20,15 40,45 45,35 10),(20 30,35 35,30 20,20 30))
(35 10,10 20,15 40,45 45,35 10) refers to the outer ring while (20 30,35
35,30 20,20 30) refers to the inner ring.
A polygon has exactly one outer ring and zero or more inner rings.

When visualizing the polygon, area under the outer ring, but not under any
inner rings should be colored.

So the hack I have used is, I have drawn the outer ring and on top of that
drawn the inner rings with the background color. You can find a polygon
which has inner rings in the dataset I have uploaded to the demo. (database:
opengis, table:gis_all)

--
Thanks and Regards,

Madhura Jayaratne