[Phpmyadmin-devel] Recently Used Tables

Aris Feryanto aris_feryanto at yahoo.com
Mon May 16 12:37:55 CEST 2011

On 16 Mei 2011, at 01:33, Tyron Madlener <tyronx at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 6:56 PM, Aris Feryanto <aris_feryanto at yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> What if, instead of a 'recently used tables drop down list' there
>>> would be a bunch of icons that allow (ajax request-)sorting of
>>> tables/databases by different criterias such as:
>>> - most recently used
>>> - most commonly used
>>> - table/db size
>>
>> I think we can add sorting criteria in settings page. But, IMO, list is still more intuitive than using icons.
>>

>>> Similar to chromes omnibar that suggests addresses that are most
>>> commonly used, this seems somehow more intuitive than a drop down
>>> list.
>>>

>> So, users must type table's name in order to jump to a table? I think this is not convenient, since users may have table names with same prefix.
>
> Yea I think this was a bad example. What I meant is, those 3 Icons
> (and saving the last sort order in a cookie) sorting the list, thus
> having the list of tables/dbs just once (not in the list + partially
> in the drop down list), feel more intuitive for me. And saves the user
> a additional mouse click once the table is sorted to his liking.

The intention of providing recently used tables is to make users able to jump between tables (they used recently) in different databases. I don't think this can be achieved by sorting the main list, since:

1. Current navigation frame has two kind of views: light version (dbs list first, then if you click one db, it will display the tables list of that db) and complete version (all dbs + tables in one list).

In the light version, it will displays only tables of one db (tables from other dbs are not shown). So, we can't jump between tables in different dbs.

In the full version, list of tables are grouped by their dbs. Sorting will messed up the list.

2. The users will be confused by the "always changing" dbs/tables list.

--
Aris Feryanto