[Phpmyadmin-devel] Quick GSoC related GIT question

Marc Delisle marc at infomarc.info
Wed May 18 15:58:02 CEST 2011

Rouslan Placella a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> I wonder what way are the GSoC students expected to maintain their GIT
> repository during the summer. I guess that there are at least two ways
> to go about it:
>
> #1: Create a branch and commit to it all summer without pulling from
> master. Then either the student or some other dev will have to merge it
> with master (which is probably a lot of work).
>
> #2: Create a branch and commit to it all summer, but also constantly
> pull and merge with other changes from master. At the end of the summer
> it will be the trivial to merge that branch into master (but there is
> more responsibility for the student - making sure not to screw up the
> merges as (s)he goes along).
>
> I know for a fact that some orgs prefer the students to use method #1,
> but I can certainly see the advantages of method #2.
>
> Thank you for your feedback.
>
> Rouslan

Let's go with #2. While it's more work from the student, it's also
reassuring for the student, the mentor and the community to know that
his developed code still works well.

Also, some mentors will merge back their student's code to master during
the summer (for example when a sub-feature is complete), not only at the
end. I'll do it for the projects I am mentoring.

With git, one can produce a log by author (and even extract code) so it
will be easy to show Google what everyone did.